Linz-Gmunden-Innsbruck in July 2003 (3)

Previous page

The tyrolean town of Innsbruck lies in the middle of two-thousand meter high mountains. The city has three meter-gauge tramway lines (1, 3 and 6) with a length of 16 kilometres and the 18 km long mountain railway Stubaitalbahn, which is also operated with tramcars.

For starters, a typical Innsbruck scene: tram, trolley bus and "normal" bus queuing in front of a "living picture-postcard" :-) The tramcar coming towards us is a D▄WAG-license built by Lohner.

Line 3  was supplemented with buses during our visit, line 6 and the Stubaitalbahn ran only once an hour, so we took the Lohner on route 1 and rode until the Hungerburgbahn terminus. Hungerburgbahn is a funicular railway...

... running to the top of the lowest hills around the city. You can take pictures like this through the roof window of the Bombardier-Rotax-built vehicles.

The bypass in the middle. This railway also has one stop located beneath this bypass.

Hmmm...

But let's get back to trams! A 1957 D▄WAG 6-axle car, originally built for Bielefeld.

Stubaitalbahnhof is where named service separates from the tramway network. At this point it passes through the bus/trolley/tram depot of the municipal transportation company IVB, and continues it's way as a one-track service.

This service (labelled as "STB") is being operated with 8-axle D▄WAG trams, built out of parts of ex-Hagen and ex-Bielefeld cars. Exception is the car on this picture, because it's end pieces came from Bochum rather than Hagen.

The upper terminus in Fulpmes.

Just to give a hint what the line looks like...

Another articulated car at the Fulpmes terminus.

Interior of the vehicle.

Next page: more trams and some cable car


Back to the main page
HamPage
Back to the top    Back to the main page